Monday, July 9, 2012

Tool 9 of 11 Tools

Wikipedia defines Technology as:  the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of toolsmachines, techniques, craftssystems, methods of organization, in order to solve a problem, improve a preexisting solution to a problem, achieve a goal or perform a specific function. It can also refer to the collection of such tools, machinery, modifications, arrangements and procedures. Well said!  The more technology our students master, the better prepared our students will be perform in the real world with real jobs. Students have to be held accountable for assignments at work stations just like they should be held accountable for the homework. Work stations also provide an opportunity for students to develop and refine their communication skills. I particularly liked Learning Games for Kids and Thinkfinity especially since those were the only two that actually pertained to my content.  Thinkfinity also  ties to EDSITEment and Smithsonian which I already use in my classes. One of my assignments is to have the students create a presentation replicating the structure of a presentation from either one of those sites. 
I like Educreations Interactive Whiteboards and Subtext for the iPad. I think the word Interactive says it all. Also, my students need to be able to read and understand (interpret) and analyze primary documents. Subtext provides a vehicle for an interactive interpretation or reading of a primary document section by section. The complete documents can be intimidating  at first. Ultimately, my students will need to read many primary documents, and the iPad will enable the kids to hopefully post their analysis and interpretations for other students to use for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment