Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tool 11 of 11 Tools

1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox?  Since most of the tools and web site I've seen are for Math and ELA, my toolbox is pretty specific: Poll Everywhere and Todays Meet are awesome.  Anything on Discovery and the Smithsonian is ready to go and user friendly! YouTube, Teacher Tube and School Tube are also easy and very goods sources. I am  the download queen and have access to many videos that are embedded in the lessons.
2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?
I have wonderful ideas for using Web 2.0 Tools in my class. However, I am also realistic enough to realize that I have so much content to cover, I have to move quickly and effectively. In other words, there is no time to play. Like Klien ISD and CyFair ISD have done in many of their schools to be truly effective we whould be checking out laptops to all the students at the beginning of the school year so that our students would become truly proficient. As it is, we do the best we can with 6 iPads in a class of 30. Of course I will do everything I can to 'create' lessons for my 21st Century classroom.. My kids are ready and willing, we just lack the equipment.
3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

No surprised. I took 23 Tools a couple of years ago. The only thing that surprised me was that there were a couple of Things I was suppose to do (including Atomic Learning) and I had difficulty because I was working on a MAC. I had to change back to my school computer to finish a couple of the activities.....Bummer...my school computer is falling apart. I think I have three screws holding this computer together. I love all the new programs....let's hope that this computer stays operational or my kids are headed back to a hard copy of the textbook....

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing your 11 Tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also want to take a look at YouTube/Education. We have opened that up for students over the summer. There should be some good content there! Most everything should have worked on the Mac. However, browsers might have been the issue. Try using Firefox or Chrome on your Mac. Safari isn't always compatible. The only way I see a 1-to-1 in SBISD is with leveragin student owned devices. How many of your students have smart phones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on finishing! I understand how you feel about having to be realistic with the devices in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete