Monday, July 20, 2009

Thing #15

The video was outstanding. I want to play it for my classes so that they too can understand the power of technology. But, just as I typed that comment, I had to give myself a mental mind slap. My eighth graders are more technologically savvy than I am...texting/itunes/gaming/MySpace etc. All of the discussion on Web 2.0 and the future of libraries were astute and interesting. My biggest problem with the increasingly rapid pace of developing technology is that the classroom isn't developing as fast. I'm in a Title 3 school. I had to go through 5 desktop computers at the beginning of the last school year just to find one that would work with my Elmo for longer than 3 or 4 days. As far as computers in the classroom....UNHEARD OF!! Don't have them and we're not getting them. We have computer labs and a 30 laptops on rolling carts (but you must check out all of the carts {2 carts at 15 computers each} for the entire day even if you only have 16 kids in class. (you do the math any way you want but that means that 14 laptops are sitting there unused for how ever many days that classroom has checked out the laptops. ) Usually 1/3 to 1/2 of the computers in the labs don't work (because they are about 8 years old!) and you have to register to use a lab. To make a long story short, you can't get in because teachers have reserved labs for a month at a time. There are so many other things that I could say about this, but probably the most aggravating is that many teachers do not know how to integrate the computer into the classroom or their scope and sequence. The laptops are typically used as babysitters to keep the kids quiet and occupied. It's all such a waste and very disappointing. The kids at my school will be lacking in technology skills when they get to highschool; there's no doubt about it.

1 comment:

  1. maybe becasue you have some tools at your fingertips new...you can get signed up for some days early on and show some of what kids can do (instead of the babysitting aspect)...how about partnering with another teacher who would be willing to jump in with both feet and that way all the computers would be engaged and the kids could learn from each other. Even if they are baby steps to you...it is a beginning!

    ReplyDelete